Kansas State Senator
State Senator Tom Holland has represented the 3rd Senate District since January 2009. He is the ranking minority member on both the Senate Assessment and Taxation and Senate Commerce committees.
Listen to Tom’s Recent Radio Ad
“Willie, Don’t Take Your Gun to Town”
Contribute via Paypal
Legislative and Personal Overview
Tom Holland has represented the 3rd Senate District since January 2009. He is the ranking minority member on the Senate Assessment & Taxation and Senate Commerce committees and is also the ranking minority member on the Joint Committee on Information Technology. Tom served in the Kansas House of Representatives from January 2003 through January 2009.
Tom was born in Indianapolis, Indiana in 1961. He met his future bride Barbara at Indiana University in Bloomington, Indiana and they have been married for over 39 years. They are the extremely proud parents of four adult children and 3 grandchildren!
Current Non-Legislative Positions
• Founder and Vice President of Marketing – Holland Technologies, Inc. (since 1994)
• Founder and Business Consultant – Orsus Management Services LLC (since 2013)
• Founder and Winemaker – Haven Pointe Winery LLC (since 2016)
• Founder and Inventor – SmartGunz LLC (since 2020)
Indiana University, Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, December 1982
University of Minnesota, Masters of Business Administration, August 1987
Project Management Professional™ (Since 2001)
Community Activities and Awards
• Kansas Small Business Development Center (Since 2004)
• Recognized by Kansas Disability Caucus for showing leadership to fund programs for people with disabilities (August 2003)
• Kansas Citizens for Higher Education – 2009 – 2010 Honor Roll
• Member of Plymouth Congregational Church
• Coached numerous baseball and softball teams including Louie Holcom Amateur Baseball Association, Douglas County Amateur Baseball Association, Lawrence Parks and Recreation, and Lawrence Girls Fast Pitch Association
• Served as Webelos Den Leader
• Volunteered for Big Brothers / Big Sisters of Monroe County – Bloomington, IN
Values & Vision
The COVID-19 Pandemic. Tom believes that consumers, employers and employees will ultimately determine when & how things “return to normal.” This process will take several months and some things may never fully return to “business as usual.” Tom does not support liability exclusions for select organizations or industries. In addition, Tom will work to:
- Provide and maintain a SAFE learning environment for students, teachers and support staff in our K-12 public schools AND protect K-12 funding,
- Pass Medicaid Expansion,
- Extend state unemployment benefits for laid off workers actively seeking employment,
- Increase Workers Compensation benefits for workers (including COVID-related illnesses),
- Re-instate foreclosure / rental eviction moratoriums,
- Implement price gouging protections,
- Institute utility disconnect / shutoff moratoriums,
- Exempt certain federal pandemic relief payments from creditors,
- Freeze residential property tax increases for fixed income seniors
Jobs Creation and Wage Protection. As a small business owner, Tom is committed to creating an supportive economic environment that benefits both Kansas employers AND employees. Tom believes in providing targeted and managed economic incentives that can best move growth industries forward, and he also supports providing robust workforce development / retraining opportunities for adult Kansans throughout their entire professional work careers.
Sensible tax policy. As the Ranking member of the Senate Assessment and Taxation Committee, Tom has consistently championed tax policies that support Kansas families and small businesses. Tom strongly opposed the 2012 Brownback tax cuts and has been a consistent advocate for freezing homestead property taxes of Kansas seniors.
Reproductive Rights / Bodily Autonomy. Tom believes that a woman, in consultation with her medical provider, should make her own reproductive healthcare decisions without undue interference or harassment from government.
Willie The Flip Flopper
Tom’s Working for You